I do care about transparency and authenticity in life and on the internet. So this page will serve to give any relationships I have that you may feel entitled to know that I could forget to mention in any given post and to explain my methodology for disclosure in my posts. They include but are not limited to (crappy pseudo-legal speak, sorry):
1. I am a Christian, please email me if you care to talk about that.
2. I worked as a for a government contracting company as my full time job for about 5.5 years.
3. I worked for 3 summers as an intern with a tapered roller bearing manufacturing company in the environmental engineering department.
4. I worked for just under 9 months as an underwriter for a property and casualty insurance carrier
5. I have done freelance photography in the past for a handful of small businesses in the past. I will disclose these relationships as needed. One exception being the Plaid Avenger and crew. I did photography work for them once, but at this point I am just a fan that buys their stuff and enjoys their work.
I see affiliate programs as win-win-win situations. You get a product or service you need, the affiliate makes a sale and I get a cut for putting everyone together. This is only true if I use affiliate relationships in an ethical way. I commit to only be an affiliate for people I personally respect and/or products I know will provide value above and beyond their cost.
I will place "(affiliate link)" or "(affiliate)" after any link that would cause me to get some sort of payment (and in many cases I will post a non-affiliate link option). If that tag is not there then there is no payment or benefit I get from the link besides helping you find more information. If through back-links they find I have sent them traffic and offer me a deal I will update the post accordingly.
Amazon - How the Amazon Affiliate Program works: I get credit for up to the first 5 items you purchase as a result of visiting the site through my link (within a few hours of clicking). I am sent a check for a percentage of those sales.
All other affiliate links are currently for store credit or free upgrades (like Dropbox) and are disclosed when used. It is hard to keep track of these because so many sites offer them to their users. I think this is a different type than Amazon for this reason.
I do own a some stock in companies. While I do not think it is anyone's business what I choose to invest in, since I do discuss technology on this site and in other mediums I will disclose that I own a handful of shares each in the following companies. If I ever discuss another company that I own stock in I will disclose that at the time. I personally do not believe my ownership stake to be significant in my personal finances or their business practices, but some may disagree.
- Tesla Motors
- Geek Net (Parent Company of ThinkGeek)
I also commit to visibly disclosing any trials or free products or services I may receive that I discuss. Unless disclosed I have paid for all products and services discussed on my site and elsewhere online.
At the moment, I do not see the place for "paid" posts on my site, so there will be none. I may write paid posts for other sites that I will link to on this site. I will also disclose past paid work for those sites when mentioning them here. Other mediums (like Twitter for example) I may not be able to disclose due to space, but I will try.
Here are my crowd funding accounts if you want to see who/what I support. I don't think these things matter, I consider them on par with directly buying a product, but some people do.
If there is anything I have missed or that you would like to see me add please email me.