I am sure I should categorize these, but for me I just enjoy listening to them all and the "hard" category that they would be put into do not really match the enjoyment or value I get from listening to these podcasts. For iOS podcast apps I recommend Overcast or Downcast.
My top picks:
These are the podcasts that I listen to as soon as possible.
- Back to Work (Life, productivity, comics, etc)
- IRLTalk (Pop culture and discussion)
- ATP (Apple and tech news)
- Judge John Hodgman (The internet meets "Judge Judy," with John Hodgman as judge)
- The Ihnatko Almanac (Tech news and discussion, also covers other life topics of interest)
Other great shows:
These are excellent shows that I listen to often but I might skip for a week or so then catch up.
- Planet Money (News and other discussion of money and markets)
- Roderick on the Line (Discussion of just about everything, also Supertrain)
- Analog(ue) (Life, news and feelings)
- Grit! (Making changes to improve your career and life)
- The Frequency (News and discussion)
- Amplified (Apple news and music)
- The Incomparable (Panel show about pop culture)
- Debug (Programming, specifically iOS and OSX)
- Let's Make Mistakes (Design and other topical discussions
- Sawbones (A discussion show of our misguided past medical treatments)
- Isometric (A panel show about video games and related topics)